access & special needs
The Knock Knock Children’s Museum was specially designed to ensure that every child has the opportunity to learn through play.
- Most areas of the museum are free of barriers, which provides full access to our outstanding experiences for those visitors with special needs.
- The museum is accessible by car or by public transportation. In front, you will find a white-curbed loading zone where visitors can load and unload.
- Our visitor parking lot includes handicapped parking spaces and ramp access. In addition, all Learning Zones, public restrooms and outdoor facilities are wheelchair accessible.
- The museum has Braille picture books, weighted lap blankets, stuffed animals and more for children with special needs. Ask a staff member for more information.
- The Quiet Cabin provides sensory experiences and a place for a child to take a break from the busy action of the museum.
- Both First Aid and Lost & Found are located at the Information Desk.
- A Sensory Learning Zone Map can be found here.
- Preview A Day at Knock Knock Social Story and A Field Trip at Knock Knock Social Story before your visit.
Ability Bags and Boxes
We have partnered with McMains Children’s Developmental Center to make Knock Knock even more accessible to children with diverse abilities. With the help of grant funding, we teamed up to create one-of-a-kind Ability Bags and Ability Boxes that provide adaptive play experiences for 10 of our 18 Learning Zones.
The Ability Bag, together with the 10 Ability Boxes, allows children with limited mobility the opportunity to participate in our activities and play with a purpose right alongside their siblings and friends. The Ability Bags are available at the front desk for use anytime you visit the museum. Each bag is equipped with a communication book, map of the museum, a visor with a laser pointer to aid in simple communication, and a special button, that when plugged in at each of the 10 adapted Learning Zones, allows children, regardless of mobility, to enjoy Knock Knock to the fullest extent possible.
The Ability Boxes are specifically created to transform each of the 10 Learning Zones into a one-of-a-kind adaptive experience. Each box is equipped with tools, utensils, and easy-to-set-up machines perfectly designed to enhance the unique fun provided by each of one of our Learning Zones.
How to Play with A Purpose using Ability Bags and Boxes
The Ability Bags and Boxes are designed to be used together. Using one without the other will limit the enjoyment of each Learning Zone. The Ability Bags and Boxes are always available at Knock Knock. Simply request to use them when you check-in at the front desk. While they are available anytime upon request, each one of the 10 unique Ability Boxes takes time to be set up properly for maximum fun. To ensure your child can enjoy Knock Knock without delay when you arrive, we ask that you call (225) 388-3090 before you visit the museum. This will give our staff time to get everything set up for your arrival. A trained staff member may also be available to assist you throughout the museum. We also offer families, caregivers, and therapists specialized training in the setup and use of the Ability Boxes. Once trained, you and your family will be able to enjoy all 10 Learning Zones at your own pace and without the need for a staff facilitator. All of this is provided absolutely free of charge with your active membership or purchase of general admission tickets.
For information on getting trained on the Knock Knock ability boxes, please contact the Director of Learning Innovation to schedule at email@example.com.