Knock Knock Children’s Museum’s Artist-in-Residence Program (AIR) offers emerging, mid-career, and professional artists an opportunity to showcase their talents while inviting creative exploration in children of all ages.
There are two 8-week residencies available: Fall 2019 and Spring 2020. Local and regional artists are encouraged to apply. During the residency, the artist will develop participatory workshops and hands-on demonstrations that lead to a cumulative piece/installation exhibited at the museum.
Ideal candidates celebrate collaboration with children and aim to challenge their own creative process while engaging museum visitors with socially conscious contemporary art.
Artists must be enthusiastic about social engagement and sharing their work with children. The application is open to all visual and multidisciplinary artists. This includes, but is not limited to, paint, sculpture, installation, textiles, illustration, digital art, and printmaking. All artists must clear a background check prior to their residency. The museum does not provide housing or transportation.
- $1,500 monthly stipend, for a total of $3,000 ($46.88/hour)
- Access to an outdoor studio and museum facilities during operational hours
- Access to museum supplies and a material stipend to be agreed upon after project approval
- An opportunity to exhibit artwork and share their artistic vision with the public
- Artists will be required to work 6-10 hours per week during museum hours over the course of 2 months (64 hours total).
- Must attend a training on the C.R.E.A.T.E. Learning Framework and Knock Knock’s museum practices
- Host participatory workshops and demonstrations during museum hours.
- Install or show a cumulative piece or project
- Plan a project or demonstration during Knock Knock Play 4 All and Free Sunday at Knock Knock
- Due to the sensitivity of working with children, artists must undergo a background check
Dates to remember:
Application Deadline: August 31st
Panel Decisions: early September
Fall 2019 (Flexible dates: October 1st– November 30th)
Spring 2020 (Flexible dates: March 1st– April 30th)
Applications will be reviewed by a panel of museum staff, community members, and arts professionals. Decisions will be scored by artistic merit, experience working with children, and the proposed project’s connection to community, culture, or family. Finalists may be interviewed prior to the decision. Knock Knock is an equal opportunity employer, and artists of all races, ethnicities, gender orientations, and LGBTQ+ are encouraged to apply.
Submissions must include the following items:
o Short Bio/Artist Statement
o Work samples or proposal images (max 15)
o Social media tagging information (optional)
o Proposed budget for project expenses. (creative reuse and frugality are encouraged)
Want to know more? You are invited to a tour, presentation, and Q&A session at Knock Knock Children’s Museum.
DATES & TIME: July 12th& July 31st, 1:00 p.m. -2:00 p.m.
To Apply, Click HERE.
For Questions, Contact:
(225)810-3721 ext. 125