Day of Field Trip
Groups should plan to arrive at least 5 minutes in advance of their scheduled time. Please be aware if you arrive before the museum is open, or too far in advance of your scheduled time you will have to wait to be admitted.
School buses will be directed to unload near the front door. Museum staff will meet buses to assist unloading students. Buses cannot remain in the Knock Knock parking lot. Designated parking instructions are provided in the Field Trip Confirmation Packet and here. Students who do not arrive on buses should plan to carpool as parking is limited. Parents who are arriving on their own may have to park off site due to limited museum parking. A shuttle is scheduled from the Picnic hill lot when off site parking is needed. If parking in picnic hill lot is full, overflow parking is at the Cane’s Dog Park or BREC Tennis Courts – Please walk to picnic hill shuttle.
Nametags: For safety and security reasons, each student is required to wear a nametag or t-shirt with the group’s name.
Chaperones and teachers are required to wear a nametag or t-shirt with the group’s name. We ask that all chaperones wait for their school to arrive so that they can enter the museum with the class. If the chaperone has not pre-paid with group he/she will be asked to check in at the admissions desk where they will be required to wear special field trip parent sticker to identify you as part of the group.
Upon entering the museum, students will be led by staff through the lobby and into Knock Knock Square for a welcome orientation which includes a story, song, an introduction to the layout of the museum, and logistical information including class schedules.
Self-Guided Field Trips: After the orientation, children along with their teachers and chaperones will visit the museum’s learning zones on their own. During times of heavy capacity groups will be split between floors to ease the traffic flow.
Enhanced Field Trips: Enhanced Field Trips will be given clear directions as to the time and location of their activity and when they can tour the museum with their group.
When it is time for a field trip to depart the museum, the following steps should be followed:
- Classes should plan to assemble in the lobby or Knock Knock Square with their teachers.
- Teachers are responsible for providing a head count to make sure all children are accounted for.
- Teachers should pick up any student projects from the front desk. Projects not picked up by the end of the week will be recycled.
- Children will depart from the museum in a single file to board their busses.
- In the event the bus isn’t ready, we ask that classes sit outside the museum to wait, so that our lobby remains open.
- Knock Knock staff are available if needed to make sure that everyone is loaded.